Week 13

 This week we continued talking about density. With this, we were asked the question Why do different substances have different densities? My group wanted to show the equation density= mass/volume. With this we wanted to show that the volume and mass of an object determines the density. We decided to draw two cups of water to show the volume. One has more water so it take up more space. The glass with less water has less space. For mass we drew to circles. One is filled in to show it is heavier. The other circle is not filled in showing it's hollow showing it's lighter.  

The next activity we did was an M&M investigation. We did the same activity from a few weeks ago. This time we wanted to see if certain colors spread faster than others. The first round we didn't have instruction, and then we got to talk about what we noticed and what we could do differently. We decided that we needed to spread the M&Ms out to be able to tell which one would spread faster. The next test was to use sugar water, or hot/cold water. My group decided to use the hot and cold water. We noticed that the hot water made the colors spread faster. I can apply this to my future teaching by having my students do this activity. It is a fun activity, and it's a way to incorporate math into science where they can measure the changes. I also think it would be a great investigation for lower grades to do.  


 

 






Comments

  1. Hi Maggie!
    I like that you mentioned that the M&M activity would be a good investigation for younger grades because it is fun but also a good segue into science activities. I also said that this would be a good math lesson for middle elementary students. I think it is very interesting how you can integrate all the subjects together like science and math or science and English, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie!! great job! I found it interesting that your group did hot and cold water because i'm pretty sure my entire section did sugar water. I was kind of expecting the hot water to make the colors bleed faster just because of things either melting or changing their shape in hotter temperatures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10 Science Methods 2

Week 13 Science Methods 2

Week 12