Week 10 Science Methods 2

   1. What did you do in the lab?   

2. What was the big question? 

3. What did you learn in Thursday's discussion? 

4. Read the online textbook, Chapter 5 

        1. What did you learn? 

        2. What was most helpful? 

        3. What do you need more information on? 

5. What questions, concerns, and/or comments do you have?    


    I wasn't in the lab this week, but by looking at the PowerPoint, we were asked the question, "What is a rock?" We then looked over our Activitymania assignment. They discussed our assessment. They went over the dangers of comparison and went over some questions from the test. Then, they shifted to the layers of the earth, and we watched our videos about convection currents. They then did an investigation using a starburst, a torch, aluminum foil, and a knife/cheese grater. They created sedimentary rocks by changing color and changing the pressure. They made igneous rocks by changing the amount of melting and the rate of cooling. They then made metamorphic rocks by the amount of heat and the amount of pressure. Sedimentary rocks are cemented and compacted together, igneous rocks are melted and then cooled, and metamorphic rocks are heated but not enough to melt and then pressure.  

    In the lecture this week, we looked at our formative assessment that they filled out during the lab. I also learned about the hot spots in Hawaii. The islands that are smaller/left of the Big Island are older. The Big Island is right on top of a hot spot, so it is continuously getting bigger because of the magma. I also learned that matter is the most prevalent factor of erosion, glaciers are the most powerful factor of erosion, and the wind is the weakest type of erosion.  

    From the book, I learned about the three types of tectonic plate boundaries. Transform boundaries are plates that sideswipe each other, divergent boundaries are when the plates are pulled apart from each other, and convergent boundaries are when the plates are pushed into each other. Convergent plates are when trenches or an island arc are formed. Divergent plates are when land, a rift valley, or a large crack is formed. The most helpful to me is the setup of the book. It was easy to read and understand what is being said. I also like the visuals to relate it to the text. I don't need anymore information at the moment, and I don't have any comments or questions.  


 
 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13 Science Methods 2

Week 12